Monday, May 28, 2007

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

I haven't told anybody that I know the full name of my website even though it has been online for almost a week. The reason is that I'm tracking everything I do to see if the marketing techniques can generate traffic. If I tell my friends and family about it, I know that they will visit the site more than once and I'll never really know if what I'm doing is paying off. I checked my web statistics today and I saw that I had about 27 visitors to my site. 7 of them were unique visitors. I'm not really expecting to receive any visitors yet because if nobody knows the site exist, how can they find it. I was reading up on this kind of stuff and I read that the search engines take time to find sites. And just because you have a site and submit it to Yahoo, Google, or MSN, that doesn't grantee that you will be listed. Imagine my surprise when I saw that one of my unique visitors found me from Live.com. They found me! Live.com is not as popular as Google or those other guys but since I only have a few articles and 3 quote pages, I'm just happy that they found me. The fun part about this building a website thing is the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm playing everything by ear and learning along the way. It's exciting to not know exactly what the next step is and then it comes to. For that step three more steps come you; and when you take those three, four come to you and on and on. I have faith that the things I am doing will pay off and the challange of creating new ways to insure success is also a motivator. When its all said and done I know I'll look back at these begining days and say man i can't beileve I did that.

No comments: