Sunday, September 9, 2007

Finish Line Vision

"The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus."
-Bruce Lee

I wrote an article recently called Everlasting Motivation that was about staying motivated while you are reaching for your goal. I've learned that trying to accomplish something without motivation is painful. Last week I was reviewing my To-Do list for the upcoming weeks and I realized that I have a full schedule of things to do. I started running all of the meetings, all of the blog and article writing and posting, all of the networking, all of the research, all of the everything that I had to do through my head. Have you ever been a work and seen a pile of work staring at you waiting to be done? You know you have to get started on it but it seems so overwhelming that you just sit back and think "man, where do I start?"

That's the way I felt. I have all of these things that aren't going to get done unless I do them. But at the same time I sometimes wonder where to start. Believe it or not I had to go back and read my own article just to get an idea on how to motivate myself to keep going. My problem was that I was focusing on what I had to do not the results of what I was doing. Having finish line vision is having a clear picture of where you want to be, where you want to succeed. It's like a track runner who has a line of hurdles in front of him. As he is sprinting towards the finish line, he is not thinking about how he has to clear that third or fourth hurdle. Instead his goal is to get to the finish line and not let anything stand in his way.

You'd be surprised how the littlest thing can stop us from reaching our finish lines. In our everyday lives we make excuses and find reasons not to do something that we know should be done. I'm beginning to realize that the lack of focus on the result is the main reason we do this. My mission for the next few days will be to focus on the end result and not on the hurdles.


"Keep your mind on the things you want and off the things you don't want."
-Hannah Whitall Smith

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.